Tuesday, November 11, 2008

WOW, Really????

I was on a call recently when I heard a man say, "I have hit a personal development road block!" I ask myself, "So what does that mean?" He then goes on to say, "I have tried and tried, and I really feel I have gotten all I possibly could get from it."
It would definitely be an understatement for me to admit that was a complete shocker to me. Because the truth is, I was so floored I didn't know where to start. So, I have taken some time to think about my response to that statement.
If the question/statement were mine to answer, I would first encourage the man to take the word "try" out of his vocabulary and replace it with an action word like, "doing." Then I would continue with an explanation of what Personal Development really means. So what does it mean?
To me, Personal Development is a wide variety of ways to improve yourself in many different aspects of life. This could be bettering yourself as a physically fit person, an emotionally well-rounded individual, a knowledgeable scholar, a spiritual being, or even mentally sound. Personal Development, is similar to life, it is a journey. A journey to be enjoyed and to be experienced one step at a time. Personal Development is the opportunity for any one person to "be all that they can be." Or at least on the pathway to perfection. No one will ever really be perfect, but it is the ability and capacity for one to strive for betterment.
I would then let that man know that when one door shuts, another opens. Coming to a stand still with Personal Development is exceptionally difficult to do, given the wide range that the Personal Development Field covers. So say, he is having a stagnate time of progress with one program or book. This is the perfect time to ask himself "WHY?" "What's coming up?" Also, breath deeply and look at his surroundings. What could make those particular surroundings better.
This is where we generally find it's not our surroundings, but it's who we are being in those particular surroundings.
There is an abundance of material in the Personal Development realm and if your getting hung up, you can find more material which will allow you to overcome those obstacles. Sometimes when I get hung up on something, I talk about it with my handsome sweetheart, not to look for a solution, but just to hear it out loud. Sometimes he can hear what I can't, and other times he just listens.
We are also blessed to have modern technology where we can just "Google" what we are looking for and there is generally a plethora of information right at our fingertips. Information that we have possibly overlooked or that is new to us. Some of my favorite topics are "The Power of Focus and Determination," or "Law of Attraction," and "BE DO HAVE."
So, long story short, If that particular question comes my way, My answer is very simple and that is to find a topic that will assist you, study it good, and be aware of your surroundings.

No comments: